Monday 29 June 2015

Billie - Thursday 24th June 1915

Dear Mother,

Many thanks for letter and parcel received the day before we came out of the trenches; also thank Aunt Sally for her kindness in sending so many good things. 

We are out of the trenches again; three of us came out a day before the others as we are to go through a special course of bomb throwing and bayonet work for when we take an enemy's trench.  We are having a soft time on this game, just sitting out in a field listening to the lecturer and having a bit of practice at throwing bombs while the rest of our company are engaged on fatigue digging &c., so on the whole we've touched lucky.  We heard today that we will have no more instruction for a time, as all the arrangements have been upset owing to the Battn. moving again, but I don't know if it is true. 

We had a fairly rough time of it in the trenches this time, but I guess the Germans had a rougher.  They are a cheeky lot of bounders I can tell you.  They started digging a trench between the lines, so we sent a party out and we fairly did wipe a few of them up.  They were not half scared and I think they must have had to stand to the rest of that night. 

Pleased to hear all well at home, hope you are still fit as it leaves me in the pink.  I should just like to see the garden now, I bet it will be all right and no mistake.  We are billeted in the wood again in canvas huts. 

I must close now as we are off to try to get steak and chips in the village.  So hoping all are quite well and with kindest regards to all my friends. 

I am your loving son Billie. 

Excuse short letter as I've not had much time but will write to Janey and Sarah soon if I get time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment