Friday 5 June 2015

John - Saturday 5th June, 1915

Dear Mother,

I expect you'll be anxious to know how I am going on.  Well I've been allowed up for 1/2 a day and I feel A1.  Of course a thing like this takes its own time and I shall be here a week or two yet.  There is not the slightest hope of being sent to England now, and one chap from this ward went this morning and I did envy him.  It is a lovely day and he will have a fine voyage.  They do not send so many home as they did previously. 

I want you to send me some tobacco; I was brought here without going back for my kit and I just had a little in my pouch.  I've also lost my scissors and I should be glad if you would send me another pair.  My tobacco pouch is worn out, so send me one to hold 2 oz.  By the way send some Tortoise Shell tobacco this time and matches.  Please send it by return as I'm stumped, as I've not received any parcels here yet.  I've not had a single letter yet, so I'm anxiously awaiting them.  I sent my address to Billie to forward my letters here, but have received none up to the present.  If I could have had a few days at home I should have had a good time. 

Still no use thinking about that now.  I shall perhaps want some money while down here.  I did not have much when I came down and the poor beggar who went to England had not a sou, so I gave him a couple of francs; he had been here ever since war was declared so he deserves a holiday.  We get fairly good meals here:

Breakfast - bread and butter (?)

Dinner - Meat potatoes and pudding

Tea - Two eggs, bread and butter

Supper - Cocoa, bread and butter

So you see I'm not starving. 

I hope all are keeping well at home, you must keep cheerful and all will come out all right in the end.  I'm sure you would not have us at home while there is such a demand for men.  You can rest assured that we shall look after ourseves as far as we are able, of course such accidents as this always happen so we must make the best of them.  I hope Father is keeping well. 

Love to all at home.  Your loving son John

No comments:

Post a Comment