Wednesday 17 June 2015

John - Thursday 17th June 1915

Rouen

Dear Jess,

I received the tobacco pouch all safely it was sent on from hospital.  My leg is improving but I have to attend for dressing every day.  As soon as it is completely better I shall be sent to the Base to await a draft going up to the line.  I might be down here a month and I might manage to just catch one and be sent up earlier. 

I am quite good friends with Shepherd, Jack Huggins' pal, we go out together and have a bottle of wine - it costs 6d.  It is an acquired taste and you have to get used to it.  Tell Cyril I hope to settle with that German myself. 

I'm feeling lazy it is too hot for anything.  We are going to try to get into town to have a decent meal; bread and marmalade does get monotonous. 

Love to all at home, John. 

P.S. 21st June

I am still convalescent, in fact I am no better than when I came here.  They allowed my wound to heal and did not dress it yesterday.  I went today and they opened it again.  They do not like them to heal too quickly because they sometimes break out again.  I can get about, but if I do much walking my leg swells up.  It will be a month or so before I'm fit to go back to the line.  They will send me to the base and give me a job there until I am quite fit. 

John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment