Monday 29 June 2015

John - Tuesday 29th June 1915

Dear Mother,

I am enclosing this in Billie's letter because we are only allowed two letters a week while here.  I received Jess and Sarah's parcel all right.  The tarts were smashed up and the sweets were all melted, due to the heat.  But everything else was all right.  I have just had the Whitehaven News and seen Billie's letter in it, they have had a fairly rough time of it from all accounts. 

I shall get my leave fairly early because I have about as much or more service in than any one in our company.  When I come Billie will come with me.  I saw the chap Spence at Rouen and I don't know what made him think I did not want to come home.  I have tried my best but it is no use so I have given up the idea long ago.  My leg is getting on all right; you see it is no good for a wound to heal too quickly, so I have it opened now and again to let out anything that ought not to be there.  There is no fear of it being poisoned.  I am having my teeth attended to now. 

I am going to town again tomorrow, I expect I shall go up the line again next week some time.  I am going to ask to be sent up when I am all right if they want to keep me here, then I shall get my leave.

Well I must close now.  I hope Joe gets called up all right and that he rests content with that.  He will be far better off and it will not be so bad for you with him at home; it will have done him all the good in the world.  I hope all are well.  I had father's letter and was pleased to hear he was so well. 

Love to all, Your affect. son, John. 

P.S. I had John Kennaugh's parcel but am unable to write to him.  J. might do so for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment