Wednesday 10 June 2015

John - Thursday 10th June 1915

My dear Janey,

I've received one of the parcels yesterday and your letter and was glad to find some fags in it.  There is nothing else to do here but smoke and read.  I expect I shall be here another week then I will be sent to the Rest Camp for a week or two.  Yes, you can send me some money as I have lost all my tackle and there are lots of odds and ends I want.  Besides I shall be able to go into the town and I want to make the most of my holiday.  It is the last letter I shall get for some time.  In order to make sure I get it register your letter. 

I am pleased to say that I am about all right again.  I can get about quite easily without my crutches now; in fact I've not used them very much as I preferred staying in to going out on crutches.  Another batch went off to England today; they send those who will take more than three weeks so my chance is nil.  I'm quite resigned to my fate now and I shall not be sorry when I am back at work.  One chap I met belongs to Liverpool so I gave him John's address and asked him to call and give him all particulars and I gave him a photograph of the place where I am at present to give to John to send home.  If you get it, it will give you an idea of the size of this place. 

I saw a French girl throw herself over the cliffs on Tuesday.  It was an awful sight.  I was looking through the hospital window and was helpless.  I have not seen the local papers you have sent yet and I am anxiously waiting for one to see what all the startling news is about young Hallett as Jess mentioned it in her letter. 

I might see Joe Franks when I go to the base.  You wait until you see me on my motor bike - I think I shall bring one of the scraps that we see on the road near our trenches. 

I'm pleased to hear that Mother is keeping better and that Father is A1.  Thank Thompson for his letter and papers, tell him that Poulton Palmer was in our Division and his grave is behind our trenches.  There will be no rugger men left after the war.  The County likely have not sent my cap yet.  However I shall not want it here so can wait until next season.  Good-bye for the present. 

Love to all John

No comments:

Post a Comment