Wednesday 3 June 2015

Billie - Thursday 3rd June 1915

Dear Janey,

Just a line to let you know I'm still all right.  You'll know by my yesterday's letter that we are out of the trenches and having a fine time of it.  We are off this morning for a bath, but the only fault is that we have about 5 miles to walk for it and seeing it is the hottest day we have had, we would sooner do without it, but we have no choice.  You will have had word from John. 

Thank Mater very much for both parcels which I received yesterday, they were great.  Tell Jess we received the pineapples which arrived in perfect condition; you would have thought they had just been cut.  Thank John for them, they were great I don't think I ever enjoyed anything so much.  We had one for tea yesterday and are having the other today.  It is hard luck on John missing his, but it can't be helped.  I had a box of tobacco from Peckham.  Also thank Cyril Graham for the fags, tell him I shared them out and all the chaps in the hut wish to be remembered to him.  I will send him a P.C. 

In the parcel that was smashed the eggs and tomatoes suffered but this time the tomatoes arrived as though they had been freshly picked, so they are best put in a little box.  The rum butter was a treat though the heat had made it run a little, but we did not mind that.  I am wearing the camphor bag and have given the other to ne of my pals "Togs".  All the chaps say when they see the post coming in "Here comes the Thompsons' mail". 

I'm pleased to hear that Father looked so well and that Mother is keeping better.  Tell them all not to worry as I am all right and that John will be all right and will get a decent holiday.  I will finish this when I come back from the bath as it is time for parade. 

Had a bath but we arrived back too late for the post.  I've just had a letter from John and he says he is sleeping in a real bed.  Oh what a treat!  And he says he expects he will be joining us in a week or a fortnight.  It is hard luck that he should not get to England.  However I suppose we must not grumble as we cannot help these things. 

Kindly thank Aunt Eliza for her parcel which arrived in splendid condition.  I have not tested the lime juice yet, but I bet it is fine, but we must keep it for special occasions.  We ate the other pineapple today as we could not send it to John; it is 10 chances to one whether he would get it or not, being sent from here the parcel would be censored and you may guess someone would have fancied it and kept it.  We've had a good night's rest so we've struck lucky so far this time no digging. 

Aunt Sally's bread is a treat and we always look forward to it.  How is Thompson getting on with his motor?  Remember me to all.  Hoping all are well,

Your affectionate brother Billie

Cheer up we will soon be home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment