Saturday 5 March 2016

Billie - Sunday 5th March 1916

Dear Mater,

Just a line to let you know I am going on all right.  We are out of the trenches and in the village in reserve.  The weather is awful; the last 8 days in we had 2 or 3 ft of snow and then heavy rain, which flooded the trenches.  Yesterday the weather turned very cold again and we had another foot of snow and hard frost.  I had a letter and some fags from the director, and he asked if he could send me anything. 

I was pleased to hear all were well at home.  Jess will no doubt have left school now, and will be having a very busy time.  I was greatly surprised to hear our John is thinking of getting married.  I have no idea when I will be home on leave now, as all leaves are stopped indefinitely, and do not show any signs of starting as yet.  I think we will be going back to our own part of the line next time in, and we will not be sorry.  I am pleased to see by the papers that they have livened the slackers up. 

The weather today is fine but cold.  You need not send me a shirt, but you can send me another pair of socks please as the weather does play havoc with our foot gear.  I had a letter from Sarah and she seems to be having a good time at Letchworth and London.  I hope she called at Peckham, they would be pleased to see here.  I suppose it will not be long before Thompson is called up, and I think it is a great shame that the married men should be called up while there are so many sheltering under their so called stars.  I only hope he is not called up, and then Janey won't have to turn out to work, nevertheless I admire her for her pluck. 

I suppose Pater will still be as busy as ever, and I'm sure he will feel ready for a rest.  Well I think this is all the news so must close.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

With love to you all, your affectionate son Billie.  Cheer oh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment