Sunday 13 March 2016

Billie - Monday 13th March 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for letter received, also for the two home parcels which I received in splendid condition. 

We are back in the trenches again and are having it fairly rough.  We have had some terrible snowstorms these last few days, and the ground is 2 to 3 ft deep all round.  You will no doubt be surprised to hear I have been put on the Machine Gun Section - the Lewis Gun.  Bunny has been on sometime now, so I had a course the last time out and I am now on.  It is much better than the company as you do not have half the work to do and have a much better time all round.  When we are out for our rest the last few days, the guns have done nothing but rest, while the company have to provide working parties, so you see it is much better on the guns.  When we are in the trenches we do not have to do two or three men's work on the guns and up to the present I have had a decent time.  In future my address will be Lewis Gun Section, A Company &c. 

You will no doubt know that all leaves are stopped indefinitely while the German offensive is being carried on.  However I suppose I will get one sooner or later but do not think I will get home for Easter. 

I suppose Sarah will have got back.  You might let me know what she intends doing.  Does Thompson know when he will be called up?  I hope it won't be for some time yet.  Have you decided what you are going to do?  Have you heard if Joe has finished his rest yet - I wrote to him two days ago.  Has John come back from his bombing course, as I must write to him or he will be thinking I have forgotten him?  We have heaps of rumours about being relieved but I suppose one of these days we will be relieved when we least expect it. 

14th March 1916

I had to leave this as we could not have a light where we were.  We have been congratulated by the General of our Corps on the way we have held the line and generally frightened the enemy.  We are transferred now out of the 3rd and into the 4th and seeing they are up in Flanders we may get a rest very soon.  We have just had a glorious supper, one of the chaps in the team had some bacon sent, so we had it fried about 1 this morning - I never enjoyed anything better. 

Well I think this is all the news up to the present.  Hoping Mother, Father, Sarah, Jess, John, Thompson, Joe and not forgetting yourself are all quite well as it leaves me in the pink.  Kindest regards to all the aunts and Mr Ray. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

I am turning in at 12 for 6 hours sleep, a thing we never had in the company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment