Sunday 20 March 2016

Joe - Monday 20th March 1916

Dear Mother,

I received parcel and thanks for same. 

We are out of the trenches and well behind the firing line, we are near to Billie, well I won't say near, perhaps about 30 miles but we might land nearer to him when we go in the trenches.  I think we will be out another week or two.  We are a lucky division so far, and we have had a grand rest, I got the 7/4d from the patriotic sale all right and I will write and thank them for it.  I don't think it's any good John writing about leave.  I should have had my leave long since when I was drawn, but I will have to wait another month at least because "A" Company goes this week, but with a bit of luck I should manage for the events.  Anyhow I will see what I can do. 

I will write to thank Aunt Eliza and Jennie.  If Thompson has to go tell him not to join an Infantry; the RGA is all right but the Army Pay Corps is much better paid I think.  I had a letter from Billie he seems to be getting on all right.  Our Billie will get a surprise if we land to relieve them.  Please send me some handkerchiefs. 

I will now draw to a close.  Hope you are all well. 

Love to all Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment