Saturday 26 March 2016

Billie - Sunday 26th March 1916

Dear Mater,

Very many thanks for the parcel received in splendid condition a few days ago.  We are back in the trenches again; they do say for our last 8 days but do not know how true it is, but things do look like a move at present.  The weather here is about the funniest I have ever experienced.  While out we had jolly fine weather up to the last night and then it turned very cold and the day we came in it snowed something awful and settled on the ground quite 7 inches thick.  But it is nearly all cleared away now as we have had some more rain and it has cleared it all away but it has left the trenches in a nice mess.  However we are quite used to the wet by now. 

I received a P.O. from the committee of the Gift Sale and I want you to thank them very much for their kindness in not forgetting me in spite of the fact that I was in the Warwicks not the Borders. 

Well things are pretty much the same as usual and I have not much news this time so must close.  Is Joe on his way down here or are they settled in some new trenches?  I am writing to John tonight so he can give you all the news I have missed out.  I had a letter from Jess from Liverpool and she seems to be having a busy time of it.  Oh all leaves are stopped again.  I think they don't intend giving some of us a leave at all.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink so cheer oh. 

Your loving son Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment