Monday 29 February 2016

Joe - Tuesday 29th February 1916

Dear Sarah,

I was pleased to receive your letter. I had a parcel from Janey so you can thank her for it as I wrote to her last week. 

I think we will be leaving here shortly as everything points to a move.  We are having fairly decent weather now, all the snow is clearing away and the weather is much warmer. 

You can draw some of my money from the bank and get Jess a decent present from me, just get what you think best.  I would like some good toffee andsome more chutney please.  I had a parcel from the Mayoress; it contained socks, muffler, mitts and helmet.  I have a lot of this sort of stuff now.  I suppose I can thank Miss Mulcaster for these.  You can tell Janey the parcel was a very nice one, all the cakes were lovely, quite a few remarked how nice the mince pies were, you can send me some often. 

I haven't had a letter from Billie for sometime, but I may get one soon.  I heard there were about 9 divisions came out this last few days and there are 25,000 men in a division, so you can see there are a good number of troops out, so Billie shouldn't be long in being relived now.  I hope you had a nice time at Letchworth; it would be a nice outing. 

Well I have no more news at present so must close.  Hope this finds all well at home. 

With love to all Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment