Thursday 10 March 2016

Billie - Friday 10th March 1916

Dear Sarah,

Very many thanks for your letter, also thank Mater for the two parcels which I received in splendid condition just before we came into the trenches. 

We are back in our own line again and are having a fairly decent time of it; if only the weather was better, things would be greatly improved.  We have had nothing but snow for a fortnight and the ground is quite thick.  The worst of it is, some days a thaw sets in and the trenches get flooded out, and we have to go up at nights and pump it out, and nearly every night we either have very hard frost or snow, so you may guess it is not very pleasant standing above your knees in water trying to pump water out whilst it is freezing so hard. 

There is a strong rumour that we are being relieved after this spell in, so we only hope it is correct, as we have had quite our share of winter trench warfare.  All leaves have been stopped throughout the British Army and we all think it is a shame.  We all read Tennant's speech in the House of Lords and you should have heard the remarks.  He wants to come out here and do 12 months, and then have his leave stopped, just when he could see it in sight, and then see how he would like that. 

We have been kept fairly busy these last few days so you must excuse my not writing before.  Our John seems to be having a decent time.  I must write to him if I get time tomorrow.  I suppose Jess will be busy now her time is getting so short.  You can draw some of my money out of the Bank and get her just what she would like from me.  I don't suppose there is much chance of me getting home by then, but still there is no saying.  I was pleased to hear Joe is still resting.  He will think I've forgotten him but I will write in a day or two. 

Did you call at Philip Road (Peckham)?  I'm sure they would be pleased to see you. 

I had a letter from the Manager and his wife yesterday, and he told me he is the only one left out of the old staff and he wants to know if I would like some more fags.  You might ask Mother to send me a copying pencil in the next parcel.  Well I think this is all the news.  Hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink.  Kindest regards to the aunts &c.  Hoping to see you soon. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment