Thursday 25 February 2016

Joe - Friday 25th February 1916

Dear Janey,

I received your letter and the parcel from home and I think it is your turn for a letter. 

We are still back resting, but I heard today that all leaves have been stopped.  This will likely be on account of the German threat to sink all ships on 1st March; the channel will likely be cleared.  We are having very cold weather, hard frost and snow, but a chap who just came off leave last night said it was colder in England.  I would say we had 12 or 13o of frost the other night. 

I am expecting a letter from Billie anytime now.  You can please send me some more chutney and rum butter.  I have plenty of tobacco but you might send me some good cigarettes.  John will likely be having a good time at Barrow although I think it will be a very bleak place, but still he can stick the cold.  I had a letter from Miss Muncaster and she mentioned the socks.  I was talking with Miller Irven and he told me he didn't get over to see Mother, but was talking with you.  I was also talking with L. Hodgson; it was the first time I have met him since we came out. 

Well I have no more news at present.  Hope all at home are well. 

With love to all, Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment