Sunday 14 February 2016

Billie - Monday 14th February 1916

Dear Janey,

Very many thanks for home parcel which I received last night.  I was pleased to hear all fare well.

You will no doubt be pleased to know we are out of the trenches again and back in the village for 8 days.  I do not think it will be very long before we have our relief here, as all along the line they seem to be relieving troops who have been in the line any time.  Just on our left some of Kitchener's were relieved and they have not been in the trenches as long as we have.  However I do not think it will be long until we get a rest. 

I was quite surprised to hear Joe was so far back resting.  I hope they are being moved to Africa as the fighting there will not be anything like what it will be out here in the Spring.  I was surprised to hear Miller had been at home.  It does not half seem rotten that chaps who have only been out three months should have their leave before chaps who have been out twelve.  However as long as I have not had it I have it to look forward to. 

I had a letter from John and he seems to be having a nice time.  Mr Hoskens often asks after John and says John owes him a letter so tell him when you write.  The enemy opposite us have been relived and they are a spiteful lot of bounders we have got against us now.  The weather is jolly rotten still, we have had snow and frost, and now it is blowing a gale and pouring with rain.  However we have one consolation, we are not in the trenches. 

I had a large parcel again last night from the Director containing a large cake, cocoa du lait, soap, chocolate sweets and a lot of other little things, it is jolly decent of him.  I suppose Thompson is as busy as ever.  Fancy our John being made a Mason. 

Well I think I've no more news so must close.  Hoping all at home are well as it leaves me in the pink.  Love to all. 

Your affectionate brother Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment