Friday 12 February 2016

Joe - Saturday 12th February 1916

Dear Mother,

I received the parcel safe on Tuesday.  I sent you a field card yesterday.  I had a letter from John yesterday and I wrote to Billie a few days since. 

We are having very cold weather and I am glad we are out of the trenches.  We had an inspection on Tuesday by General Plummer our Army Corps General, and on Wednesday we were inspected by Lord Kitchener.  We just had to march past in both instances.  I didn't tell you that we had Colonel Winston Churchill in our trenches.  He was Colonel of the Royal Scots who took the trenches over from us.  I didn't see him but he was in our trenches a few times. 

John seems to be having a nice time; he will be quite handy for a weekend at home.  I was sorry to hear about Joe Wilson's Mother dying.  It was not a nice leave for Joe and Bob.  There have been a few Whitehaven chaps killed lately.  I knew Joe Cowan and Holloway very well; they were two nice boys.  I received the Whitehaven News from Jennie and the Sunday Pictorial and London Opinion that you sent me.  Have Bob Christian and Sid Husthwaite enlisted yet?  Syd Park is getting on fine.  I haven't seen Miller Irven since we came back on our rest. 

Well I must close.  Hope all are well. 

With love to all, Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment