Saturday 27 February 2016

Billie - Sunday 27th February 1916

Dear Janey,

Just a line to let you know I am all right.  Very many thanks for the lovely home parcel which I received last night.  It was quite a treat and I quite enjoyed it especially the meat and brown loaf.  The milk tablets are also great; you might send me some more of those as they are good to have on sentry at nights. 

We go in the line for our last night this spell tomorrow, and we will not half be pleased when we get this little spell over.  We have had the worst time this spell we have ever had.  It has snowed practically the whole of the seven days we have been in and it has been so cold that half our rifles would not fire, so we would have been in a nice state if the Germans had only come.  It is a downright shame that half of the rifles in our Battalion have been condemned long ago and yet they will not issue us new ones.  I have got a fine rifle.  I got it when I was in dry dock, and I mean to take care of it. 

We have just had a draft up and they a lot and no mistake.  We all think it is not right to send chaps who have just been in the army three months and had such little training.  They have only been up a few days and they have wounded three of our Battalion already so you can guess we do not place much confidence in them.  On sentry one night I don't think there was one who could get his rifle to fire, and the rifles they have were obsolete in the army for the last six years, and yet when Kitchener's men came out they all had brand new rifles and bayonets.  It is quite time this matter was seen into.  We either must be short of trained men and decent rifles or else the heads are not playing fair.  The rations also have been awful lately, and yet they tell us we are playing a winning game.  Well I suppose these things will be seen into when we do waken up. 

Well I must close as they are calling for letters, hoping all are well as it leaves me in the pink. 

Cheer oh.  Billie. 

All leaves are stopped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment