Saturday 30 May 2015

John - Sunday 30th May 1915

Dear Alfred,

Sorry to hear that you've been unable to join the noble army.  You have the consolation of knowing that you were willing to do your share.  I only wish a few thousand others would show themselves willing.  People at home have no idea how badly men are needed out here.  They are inclined to think the war is practically over, but from what we have seen of it you can take my word that we have not won by a long way yet.  Just last week thousands of our chaps were put out of action by the gas. 

You will no doubt be surprised to learn that I'm in hospital.  I went out digging with a party during our "Rest" period on the night of my birthday.  We were working in front of our lines when they turned a machine gun on us and I'm pleased to say I was the only one to be hit - and in the leg.  I'm pleased to say it missed the bone but the bullet went right through the leg and buried itself in a sandbag.  I'm thankful it did not break its journey and stay in; the chap in the next bed has just had one extracted and it must have been jolly painful but he bore it like a Briton. 

I am at present in one of the most beautiful parts of Northern France (Le Treport).  I came here last night after a 12 hours ride in a luxurious hospital train.  Of course it is very inconvenient to have one good leg instead of two but I expect I shall be back again in a week or two.  The worst of being wounded is that people at home don't look at it in the same light as we do, to us it is a most welcome rest and a decent time and the other chaps were awfully envious.  I am in a real bed with real sheets &c and when I opened my eyes this morning I had to start making guesses as to where I was.  I'm taking my fill of real civilised sleep - the first I have had for three months. 

Thank all for their birthday parcel, the worst of it was I had to leave all the good things I had had sent behind, and had nothing but my rifle.  The grub so far is plain but good.  Of course we cannot expect much chance of getting to England (or Blighty as the chaps call it).  I'd like to be sent to Penrith to be nursed by Josie. 

Must close now. 

Kindest regards to all,

Yours &c John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment