Thursday 14 May 2015

John - Friday 14th May 1915

Dear Mother,

Thank you very much for your letter.  I am pleased to hear you are keeping somewhat better.  We had a parcel from Sarah and it started off with eggs in it.  When we opened it we had to guess what was in it, but we managed to rescue three from the wreck so that was not so bad. 

We are back in the trenches again and we are not by any means sorry.  It is a treat to get a decent sleep at nights.  All the time we were having a rest we spent every night digging and, when we finished that, we had to lie out in a field in reserve in case the Germans attacked.  We made a sham attack last Sunday just to take their attention off another part of the line, and we hear it has been very successful.  You see how hard we are now, none of us caught cold in the least.  We had an issue of rum one or two mornings and it was most acceptable.  It has rained all the time we have been in here, but we make the best of a bad job.  I have just cooked dinner for two of us, and just to show you how we fare now, this is what it consisted of:- boiled potatoes, beef steak, bacon & eggs, after which we had tea, bread, butter and honey.  All with the exception of the eggs are army rations so we do not fare badly now. 

There is no need to send any more cigarettes or tobacco for some time.  I have enough tobacco to last me two months and we have plenty of cigarettes.  I had some cigarettes from Mr Cooper (Birmingham) and a nice parcel from Mrs Hewitt (Birmingham).  I have nearly a pound of different kinds of tobacco so I shall let you know when I need some more.  Billie also has plenty of cigarettes. 
The S. Pictorial and Birmingham Post arrived safely last night.  Billie is just having a look at them now.  What an awful affair that is about the "Lusitania" I think it will make America buck up. 
You need not worry about the Germans using those gasses; we are all well prepared for them if they start that game here.  We have respirators ready for immediate use and goggles to protect our eyes from injury.  Has anything been heard from Jack Huggins lately?  He soon got in amongst it.  I expect they are not very far from us but there are so many troops here that we don't stand much chance of meeting him.  I have a pal in the Gloucesters and they are only about a mile from here and I've never seen him yet. 

We are expecting a decent rest some time soon, we shall go back to our base when that time comes, perhaps it will be early June but we do not know.  If you could only see us now you would not think we were the "spick and span" Battallion that left England; our buttons are black and our clothes match them.  We are having new togs soon and we shall soon need them very much.  We never have our boots repaired, as soon as the sole is worn out we have a new pair, so you see they look after us very well.  We have a pair of India rubber "Jack" boots for very wet weather. 

I am enclosing a note from school which is very interesting.  I want you to forward the enclosed letter with a 5/- P.O. for the College B&O fund.  I had an appeal made to me the other day.  I usually give it and they stand in need of it this year. 

Well I must close as it is nearly post time.  I expect Jess will be looking forward to her Whit holiday - lucky beggar.  I hope you are all A1.  Thank Aunt Sallie for the bread.  I've had a letter from Joe. 

Love to all. 

Your affectionate son, John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment