Monday 18 May 2015

Billie - Tuesday 18th May 1915

Dear Janey,

Many thanks for the lovely parcel which we received when we came out of the trenches.  The boxes were all broken but the contents were in splendid condition except the little bottle of vinegar and it was broken and the effervescing caramels, there were only 4 in the box but they were fine.  However all the stuff was grand and we are saving the tinned stuff for the trenches. 

We had rotten weather in the trenches and it has rained every day since we have been out.  However we are in huts and so are taking no harm.  We are off this morning to N. for a bath and I can tell you we are looking forward to it.  I wrote to both Jack and Tom yesterday so they will no doubt have got them by now and I also wrote to Joe yesterday in answer to the letter I had from him. 

We had a fairly lively time of it in the trenches this time in, especially the last day when we had to stand all the day and we gave them what for.  My shoulder was all discoloured with the recoil of the rifle from the amount of rounds I fired.  I am sorry too tell you that one of the chaps I was billeted with at Coggenshall got shot through the neck and died of wounds.  It's jolly hard luck and he was a jolly decent chap. 

Well I've given you all the news this morning.  How are Mater and Pater?  I hope they are both well, also Jess, Sarah, Joe, Thompson, and yourself.  I hope you are both quite well.  Kindly remember me to all my friends.  I am just off to Parade. 

Tell Thompson he has to let all the unmarried ones go before he thinks about enlisting.  Kindly thank Aunt Sally for the bread - it is jolly fine and a treat to what we get here. 

Cheer up. 

Your loving brother, Billie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment