Sunday 31 May 2015

John - Monday 31st May 1915

No 3 General Hospital
British Expeditionary Force. 

Dear Jess,

I suppose you will be expecting more news from me.  You will know by now why I am here.  I am having a lovely rest and I'm pleased to say that my wound is healing very rapidly - too rapidly for my liking.  Still I shall be in bed for a day or two yet, so you send your letters, papers &c to the above address and I shall let you know directly I am moved.  After I go from here I shall be sent to a Rest Camp so I shall not be back with the boys for a week or two. 

I had to leave a lot of the cakes, fruit &c behind; we made a fair inroad into them on my birthday, before we went on this digging excursion that landed me here.  There is no cause to worry, so Mother can rest assured that I'm all right.  All the other chaps are quite envious because they had not been so lucky as I was. 

I must close now as it is post time.  Love to all at home. 

Your affectionate brother, John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment