Tuesday 5 May 2015

Billie - Wednesday 5th May 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks for the lovely parcel.  We got it just in time to take into the trenches.  We fairly have lived this time.  We are pleased to hear that father's cold is better and that all at home are well.  John and I are both in the pink.  We have had rotten weather this time in the trenches, rained every night so far and is starting again now so I will adjourn to my dug-out. 

I had a letter from the young married chap I used to work with at Launders and he has joined the ranks so that is two from our branch, but of course he is not out here yet.  I had a letter from F. Gibson last night and a box of 100 fags; I reckon it was jolly good of him.  We have not seen anything of J. Huggins as yet, but of course we may drop on him later on.  Things are going on as usual in the trenches again - shells every day.  We are going out tomorrow night all being well so we will let you know when we get out. 

We were pleased to get Gus's little letter, he is getting a nut.  You might send me some more paper - another writing tablet as this is just about finished.  You might also send in the next parel something to make a drink of as the heat is terrible. 

Well I think I've told you all the news so must close hoping all are well at home.

Your loving brother Billie

Tell Janey I will write when we get out of the trenches.  I suppose Jackie will be getting worse than ever.  Remember me to all at Liverpool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment