Saturday 30 May 2015

Billie - Sunday 30th May 1915

Dear Jess,

Many thanks for parcel and letters from Sarah and yourself.  You will no doubt know that John got wounded in the leg between the ankle and the calf.  It is nothing serious as it never touched any bones or arteries, and the doctor said it would mean about 3 weeks' rest or a month.  I wrote to Thompson yesterday so he will no doubt have told you.  John said I'd not to write, but thought I'd write to Thompson in case John's letter was delayed. 

It was jolly rough luck on him considering his birthday had just an hour elapsed and that all the grub he had not eaten fell to my lot, and I don't know what I should have done, if some of our pals had not helped to carry it for me to the trenches.  I was working alongside him when the machine gun was turned on us and heard him say "Oh", then he hopped over the parapet, so I went after him to see what was the matter.  He had it bandaged up and then our section carried him out and it was no light job with shell holes all over the place, although he wanted to get off and walk, but we would not let him.  When he had it dressed, he was put in an ambulance cart and taken to the clearing station to wait for the motor.  While he was there, he got one of the chaps who was coming over to our place to call for some of his kit, tobacco, chocolate and odds and ends.  So we fastened him a handkerchief full up and sent it to him.  I hope he got it all right.  He sent me a card with what he wanted on and told me he was feeling all right.  We left him laughing and joking in the wagon.  If he is lucky he will no doubt be sent to England by now, as it just depends on which clearing station you are sent to whether you are put in a French hospital or sent to England. 

We are in the trenches again and the sun is scorching hot.  How are things looking in England now?  Is recruiting going strong?  If not they ought to make it conscription.  Pleased to hear Jack Whiteman is out here; I may come across him.  Sorry to hear about Jack Huggins, I sincerely hope he is all right, but I am afraid, if he is, he is a prisoner, although he may be in hospital with those who are gassed. 
Well how are all at home?  I hope you are all well as I am in the pink.  Kindly remember me to all aunts and cousins, also to Mr Ray and Gertie.  I had a P.C. from Billie Nixon; tell her we've not seen anything like this since we left England.  Also thank Dolly and Elsie Nixon for the pistol and caps which I am taking with me as a mascot. 

Must close or I'll be late for the post. 

Your loving brother Billie. 

Tell all they need not worry about John as he is all right, so there is nothing to worry about.  Don't think I'm keeping anything back from you as I've told you all. 

Cheer up.  Billie

No comments:

Post a Comment