Friday 29 May 2015

John - Saturday 29th May 2015

Dear Janey,

Thank you very much for your wishes and share in the birthday parcels they arrived safely and we all enjoyed them very much indeed. 

We had to go digging at night and the Germans must have known it was my birthday for they sent me a present that will give me a rest for some time.  I am pleased to say it is nothing more serious than a flesh wound in the leg.  I was in charge of a working party in front of the lines - it was the last day of our rest and we were working until 1 a.m.  I had just finished putting the last sandbag on and was jumping up the parapet when they turned a machine gun on us.  I felt a sharp sting in my leg but thought it was a knock from a pick seeing the other chaps were following me (as I thought).  I vaulted right over and it was due to that I escaped serious injury for the bullets splashed up against the sandbags where I had been working, in rapid succession.  I had the wound dressed and was carried to the first dressing station.  Billie and all my pals came with me and I did feel sorry for them, because as you can guess, I am no lightweight.  We were fired on again before we got out, and in order to let the stretcher bearers get on quickly, I got off the stretcher and was helped along by two of my pals.  They were all envious I can tell you - it is considered a stroke of luck to get a "soft one". 

Well I am in hospital now waiting to be sent to the base.  I had an exciting ride from the first dressing station.  It was breaking day and we had to risk being shaken up to escape being fired on.  We met Billie and the rest on the road and gave them a lift so far.  I was transferred to a motor and taken to the first clearing line station where I was innoculated against Tetanus and at 10 a.m. was dispatched to the second clearing station and now we are waiting to catch the train to the base hospital. 

The chaplain here is a fine chap and he asked first "Any Borders here?".  That made me prick up my ears and I asked him if he came from Cumberland; you can imagine my surprise when I found he belonged to Cockermouth.  His name is Hodges?  He started off by saying "Is te garn yam?" so I said "I think seah" and he was quite satisfied with my credentials.  It is quite possible that I shall be sent to England but not very probable.  If I can manage it, I shall try to get near home.  There are some ghastly cases here.  I am in a ward with a few hundred more, mostly Territorials, and they are a cheerful lot!  The chaplain brought a gramophone up last night and we all enjoyed it. 

I must close now as I have to catch the train and we can't keep the car waiting. 

Love to all John. 

No comments:

Post a Comment