Monday 31 October 2016

Wilson Graham - Tuesday 31st October 1916

In Hospital, Sussex. 

Dear Mrs Thompson, & Family,

I have heard the sad news from home of poor Joe, and I wish to tell you all how awfully sorry I am, and to extend to you all my heartfelt sympathy - not that it is much use to you in your sad loss.  But I pray God will comfort all of you in your bereavement. 

I don't think anyone in the Battalion knew Joe as well as I did.  I had a letter from him about three weeks ago, and he spoke about having it hot after I left on 3rd July but he said they were having a good long rest at the time of writing.  I remember well the morning of 3rd July when I was wounded.  Joe came up while they were bandaging my foot, and he shook hands and wished me the best of luck.  Little did I think I'd never see him more. 

Well I may only add to your grief by writing so I will conclude.  Again hoping that God will comfort you all. 

I remain, Yours very sincerely Wilson Graham. 

No comments:

Post a Comment