Wednesday 2 November 2016

Syd - undated

Dear Mrs Ray,

I received you letter and was pleased you gave me a few particulars of Joe.  I had the Whitehaven News sent this morning and read the account of it.  I guessed they had been into it again.  It is hard to be killed after the good work they boys have done and were just waiting to be relieved.  I know what it's like waiting for relief after a hard battle.  It's like the poster that used to be up - "Will they never come?".  I am sorry it happened especially for your Mother's sake - that's what made me always feel for Joe.  I only wish you had seen him, he did make out a fine young chap. 

I don't know what I have felt since I received the news.  At first I could hardly believe it.  If ever a Battalion has had any hard fighting it is the 8th.  I may tell you I've never felt happy since I left it and came to this lot - England's last hope!  I would go out tomorrow to the 8th and there are not many of the old boys left - the best of them have gone now. 

I hope your Mother will not make herself ill, only it's a hard blow for her as I know how she felt for him.  I don't seem to mind what happens now.  There are a few young single chaps in Sunny Hill who should be out.  I don't mind them not joining, it shows their true spirit, only things should be divided a little, there should be someone from every house, and then all would realise war.  It's the people at home who are to be pitied.  Now I hope this finds you all in the best of health under the circumstances.  Remember me to all. 

Your sincere friend Syd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment