Monday 24 October 2016

W.G. Gill - Tuesday 24th October 1916

Dear Mrs Thompson,

You will no doubt be surprised to have a letter from me, but I am writing to inform you of poor Joe.  He was killed on Sunday evening last.  We were over the top again on Saturday morning and had a great time.  We obtained our objective and then went about half a mile over the German lines, captured some artillery and put one of their guns out of action.  Altogether I believe we had as many prisoners as we had men in the attack.  When we retired to our objective, which was a trench, I looked for Joe and saw him coming up the hill.  We shouted to him to hurry and he was soon with us.  All that day was spent in consolidating work. 

The next morning we were to be relieved, but the new division did not arrive until evening and it was half an hour or less before that, when poor Joe was killed along with Pte Robert Wilson who was standing beside him.  Two of us, including myself were buried by the same shell.  When we were dug out we immediately stepped over towards where we knew they were, and found both dead.  They suffered no pain.  Both received a soldier's grave.  Sergeant Joseph Wilson and I recovered some photographs, correspondence &c and handed them over to the Coy. Quarter Master Sergeant who will no doubt be writing to you.  Joe has been my closest companion ever since war broke out in 1914.  He was an excellent soldier and is missed by all, especially the Lewis Gun Section. 

A parcel arrived for him yesterday and was disposed of in the usual way.  Jack Brewster and the remainder of the company including myself wish to express our sincere sympathy in your great loss. 

I am, Yours truly, W.G. Gill

No comments:

Post a Comment