Wednesday 8 April 2015

Typist's Note

In 1974 my sister, Sara, and I were clearing the attic at No. 20 Victoria Road after the death of our aunt, Miss Sarah Thompson, when we found three notebooks in which our Mother Jessie Kennaugh (nee Thompson) had copies the letters her brothers had sent home from the trenches.  Then in 1988 when my grandson, Christopher Preedy, was visiting the Somme Battlefields as part of a history project, I borrowed the books to copy the letters for Chris. 

I am very grateful to Mrs May Lawton (May in the letters) for all the help she has given me in compiling the letters.  Born in 1900, she was very much a contemporary of her cousins and well remembers the last time they were on leave together in early 1915; at that time Billie frightened the young Gus by jumping out at him (in fun) wearing his gas mask &c.  May also remembers helping to make bread and cakes &c which were sent weekly to the boys and also reading these letters when they were first received. 

In September 1989 May gave me the letter which Joe sent to her on 27th May 1916 and referred to on pages 132/3.  I have included a photocopy of that letter and the enclosed pansy at the end of the letters. 

From the British Library, Newspaper Library in London I have been able to obtain a photocopy of the article in the Whitehaven News of 24th June 1915 to which John refers in a letter dated 29th June 1915 on page 30.  A photocopy of that is also enclosed. 

The typing errors are entirely my fault.  Some of the names may be misspelt as it has been rather difficult to decipher some of the writing which, after 75 years is beginning to fade. 

Jessie Preedy (nee Kennaugh)
March 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment