Tuesday 21 April 2015

John - 21st April 2015

Dear Thompson,

Thank you very much indeed for your letter of a few days ago.  I am pleased to say we are both A1 after a fairly hard time. 

We have just come out of the trenches after a four days' spell.  The weather was simply glorious while we were in so that made it rather decent.  The routine in trenches is as follows: all night we work like niggers making our places shell-proof, and during the day we sleep and eat.  On the whole we had a very quiet time. 

Yesterday they had a good go at us, but fortunately they did not do much damage.  A shell blew a hole in a dug-out and knocked some sand bags off the parapet.  On Sunday night we had an exciting time.  One of our patrols captured a German right in front of my part of the trench.  Two of them came down to plant a flag in our barbed wire - at least that is what the chap said.  Of course we did not believe him, but it was quite true.  Next night our scouts went out and found the flag, and you couldn't guess what was on it - "Invitation to a football match".  It would have been a good joke if it had come off but it didn't.  The chap we got was in a blue funk and fully expected to be shot.  He said their officers had educated them that way, so you see what they are.  The prisoner was armed with an automatic pistol and was jolly well equipped. 

We had our parcels from home this morning and they were most acceptable; we had nothing but biscuits in the trenches.  I mean we had no bread.  Of course we get cheese, jam, bully beef and once we got butter, so manage somehow to make some meals.  The socks will come in useful; we both want a new pair.  With regards to our washing - I don't quite see how we can send it home, seeing we can only have one shirt and vest each. 

When we go for a bath they give us clean clothes so we manage all right.  Yes, we can spend English money here.  By the way all the grub in our parcels was in splendid condition, and we are having most of it today. 

I expect you will enjoy your motor rides now, more than in the bad weather.  I would give something for a spin through the lakes now. 

We all expect the war will finish this Summer but from what we have seen of it I don't see how that can happen - but of course our part of the line is very quiet, it is mostly on our left where the movement is taking place.  I am pleased to hear that Mother is cheering up.  To my mind we are as safe here as at home because it is only the chance shots that hit, and when you have seen what I have, you will become an absolute Fatalist.  I have some very interesting things to tell you when we come home. 

I must close now.  I hope you are both well.  Thank Janey for her letter; it was handed to me last night before we left the trenches so you see we are looked after. 

Love to all

John. 

I hope your father is keeping well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment