Saturday 25 April 2015

John - 25th April 1915

My dear Mother,

I received the parcel safely on Friday for which I thank you very much indeed.  We have brought the majority of the grub into the trenches with us and it is most acceptable, especially the eggs. 

Things are very quiet round this part of the line, the Germans don't fire unless we do, so you see we keep fairly quiet.  The Saxons sent a kite into our lines the other day and it just shows the news they really get for on the kite they had written "We have sunk all your ships why don't you give in?  We don't want to fight.  Return this when the wind changes".  What do you think of that for swank?  I think if they knew the real state of affairs they would give in, not us.  I suppose they will find out someday and then there will be an awful row. 

Billie has just got up and had his breakfast (1p.m.) and he is asleep again, so you see it does not worry us much being here.  He said he wondered where he was when he woke up this morning because he had been dreaming all night that he was at home.  He had the best sleep for some days so that is all right.  I hope Father is quite better, sorry to hear he had a cold.  I am writing to Joe tomorrow.  Shall write to Aunts later. 

Love to all

John

No comments:

Post a Comment