Sunday 26 April 2015

Billie - 26th April 1915

Dear Thompson,

Just a line to let you know we are again in the trenches.  We came in on Saturday [24th] and have had a very warm time of it.  The last time we were in we had four days' rest; at least it was supposed to be rest but we were all pleased when it was over.  We had to go digging every night all night at different parts of the line right in front of our trenches, digging and making new tracks.  It is a very risky business, I can tell you. 

John would tell you about the chap who has been recommended by the General.  Well we have had an officer also recommended, so that was not bad for the 2nd time in the trenches.  You should have seen us comming into the trenches this time, each armed with as much bread as we could carry.  We each had a sand bag full of grub (not army issue), blanket, wood, coal and full equipment.  We were done up when we got in the trenches. 

Oh, one of the nights when we were digging we were all recalled and set off to look for snipers who are busy behind our lines.  They wait for water parties &c and then let them have it.  The place is alive with spies and snipers and the best part of the farmers around here are in touch with the enemy.  Oh if we only catch one, he will have a rough time of it.  While we were hunting for the snipers the Germans got to know somehow and turned a machine gun on us and we had to lie full length in a ditch until it had all passed over.  It was a warm time, I can tell you.  You could hear the bullets singing over your head and it was a good job for us they had not got the range. 

I am sitting in my dug-out writing this and you should see us.  We were heavily shelled yesterday and I suppose they will start the same time today, they usually do. 

Thank them all at home for the parcel which arrived all serene, the drinking cups are just the thing.  We brought the eggs and tongue in with us, so are living all right this spell in.  After this spell in we get 4 days' rest and go further behind the line.  We will be relieved on Wed [28th]; so I will send a card home as soon as we are. 

The weather here is very changeable.  Enclosed you will find some flags for Janey, that is if the censor lets them go through.  I had a letter from Jenny B., also one from Jackie.  I also had one from our managing director, a nice letter asking if I wanted any socks or anything at all sending out, as he would be pleased to send me something.  I had a notion to say "Yes, my wages" but changed it and said I had plenty of socks &c but if he sent me any luxury I would duly appreciate it.  He told me my pal at the shop had joined - he is married - and several of the others. 

Well how are you all, well I hope?  Is Janey busy spring cleaning?  I hope you are all well, also all at home.  Remember me to Gertie and your father.  Cheer up and keep them all alive. 

Fancy not having a wash for 4 days, you ought to see me now. 

Your loving brother

Billie.

To Censor Kindly replace flags after censoring this letter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment