Monday 1 August 2016

Joe - Tuesday 1st August 1916

Dear Janey,

I received your letter also a parcel from Liverpool from Jess. 

I can't tell you how sorry I was to hear about Billie, but you mustn't think he will not turn up.  It's far better to know that Billie was wounded and missing than just missing in this advance.  A good number of our wounded would be taken by the Germans - so you must hope for the best.  That pal of Billie's was right when we said the Warwicks Brigade had been in action on 1st July.  He just said Billie was wounded, but he knew no particulars, so there is every chance. 

We are in the trenches again, but it is fairly quiet this time in.  I sent a field card to Mother that should have been sent to Jess.  I don't know what happened to W. Lewthwaite off York Terrace and I know nothing about Jim Lewthwaite.  No one seems to know; some say they were wounded, but it's best to say nothing until the official news is heard.  Jack Wightman was in the same village as where we are stationed for one night and Hugh Baillie was talking with Jack but I didn't see him. 

Well I've no more news at present.  Tell Mother not to worry - I think good news will come soon.  With love to all. 

Your loving brother Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment