Friday 29 July 2016

Joe - Saturday 29th July 1916

Dear Mother,

I received your parcel dated 20th and thanks for same.  We are behind the lines at present, but very close to the trenches.  We might go in anytime but I think we will be going back for a good rest in a week or so.  We are having very fine weather, I think Summer is only starting.  I've written to our John and to Father, in fact I've sent quite a few letters off, but they seem to take a long while to get through. 

Have you heard anything about Billie?  Is he in the 4th Division.  The Division he used to be in relieved us in the last trenches but I told you about that.  Father will likely be as busy as ever.  There was a chap called Andrew Douglas, Janey was talking to him when he was down on leave, he was on our Gun Section and was killed on 3rd July.  He was a decent chap and I was going to write to his wife, but I was under the impression that our Sergeant was writing.  Well Sergeant Graham had a letter from Mrs Douglas and she didn't know her husband was killed, and she is in a terrible way, and I can tell you I miss Andrew very much.  He lived in Ginns.  Have you any idea where Frank Wilkinson is?  He thought he was coming to France.  Syd is all right, he showed me a letter in which Mrs Graham said you had telephoned to Warwick about Billie and that he was all right up to the date of enquiry. 

Well I must close, hoping all are well.  Best love to all,

I remain your loving son Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment