Saturday 10 September 2016

Joe - Sunday 10th September 1916

Dear Mother,

I received your parcel all right, also one from Aunt Eliza.  I must write to thank her.  I met Harry Johnson the day we came out of the trenches (Thursday), he looked well, so if every you see his Grandmother you can tell her he is A1.  I had a letter from Sarah yesterday, I also received her parcel safely.  You can thank Aunt Joan for the tomatoes, they were grand although they got a bit squashed.  Father will likely be as busy as ever; I cannot understand him not getting my letter.  I've been writing most of this letter in the dark, but it doesn't matter much as long as you can read it.  F. Wilkinson will be all right now.  I had a letter from him a few days ago.  I think there is still a chance of Billie turning up, so don't lose hope.  John seems to be having a nice time - longer than he expected. 

I think we are at last on our rest, we have been marched back to the trenches so many times that we won't take anything for granted.  We have been two months in this present offensive so I think we have had our share for a bit. 

I could not get a card so must wish you "Many Happy Returns of the Day" - also the same to Thompson.  Well I've no more news so must close.  Hoping this finds you all well at Home. 

Love to all Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment