Friday 2 September 2016

Joe - Saturday 2nd September 1916

Dear Jess,

It's rather a long time since I wrote to you but we have been kept very busy lately.  I haven't had much time for letter writing.  John still seems to be having a nice time at Chester.  I wish we could get some news of Billie.  Of course it takes a long while to get news through.  We've had quite a number turned up as prisoners, so there is a good chance.  I had a letter from Wilson Grahame he seems to be having a trying time in hospital. 

10th September

I never got a chance of posting this letter, we were taken in a hurry to the trenches but we are back again now and I think we are right for a rest.  I had a letter from Sarah yesterday.  I received her parcel a few days ago, but yours hasn't turned up yet. 

I still think there is a chance of Billie being a prisoner, and if he was left wounded between the German first and second line with a bit of luck he should be all right.  I will send Mother a card for her birthday, it won't matter about being late.  I think F. Wilkinson is a lucky chap, but he had his share like the rest of us.  I met Harry Johnson when we came out of the trenches, he looks well. 

Well I've no more news remember me to John and Mr & Mrs Kennaugh and family. 

Your loving brother Joe

P.S. I just received your parcel yesterday (11th) it had been repacked in England as it was found broken, but it was all right when I got it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment