Sunday 6 November 2016

W.G. Gill - Monday 6th November 1916

Dear Mrs Ray,

Your letter dated 31st came to hand yesterday.  There is no need to thank me for writing to you about poor Joe.  He was my dearest chum, and it was because he was on the Gun Section at Aldershot that I am on it now.  Unfortunately I cannot write you very detailed particulars because as you know, the censorship is very stiff. 

You will have read of the place in the press about a week ago.  It may happen that very shortly some of us will be home on leave.  In that case when any Whitehaven man comes, he could give you full particulars.  Should it be myself I could answer anything you might ask.  I may say that I could go to the exact place now where Joe rests.  I know you have looked forward eagerly to him getting a leave.  That afternoon before he and Wilson were killed, we were speculating on going home together sometime - but it was not to be. 

Yes we've had a very hard time since July - walking under heavy shell fire for long distances in the open and trudging through battered trenches where one sunk two or three feet in the thick mud or muddy water at the same time carrying rifle, ammunition &c.  I would rather walk 20 miles over a fair road than 20 yards through those trenches again. 

It may interest you to know that Joe's life out here was all that could be wished for, and an example for more to follow.  His behaviour both in and out of the trenches was admirable.  Where possible he and I were always on duty together.  We spent many a jolly day together occasionally going on pass.  Everyone of the old hands miss both boys very much.  I am the only one of the old Battalion left in No 2 platoon except a few on the Bombers, Signaller &c so I am like a stray sheep. 

Well I think there is nothing more I can say now, so will conclude, hoping you will find at least a little consolation in knowing he played a true soldier's part up to the end and set a fine example. 

I am, Your sincerely, W.G. Gill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment