Monday 18 July 2016

Joe - Tuesday 18th July 1916

Dear Mother,

I was pleased to hear all at home are well, and I'm pleased to tell you I am not the worse for the advance we have been in.  We have lost a lot of good chaps but it likely can't be helped.  I got a parcel yesterday when we came out of the trenches.  I think it had been waiting for me a week, as we never got any post in the trenches.  Oh, I've just received another parcel. 

Now don't worry about me, I'm tip top.  I think we have done our share, we have been in four charges.  Syd is all right, never believe rumours, it's marvellous how they get about.  Talk about souvenirs, German helmets and all kinds of stuff.  I can tell you the Germans did not want for anything, their dugouts were splendid and hardly any worse after all the bombardment.  The 8th Warwicks (Billie's regiment) took over our trenches and I was going up to see Billie but we had to move out any minute so I did not manage to get up, but a lad out of our lot was talking to a mate of Billie's and he said Billie was wounded so I think it must be true, anyway you don't want to worry, I think you'll have had word by now.  The war looks like drawing to a close and I don't think anyone will be sorry.  Our Division has taken a good number of prisoners and they seem pleased to give themselves up, but are very frightened they will get shot.  John will hardly get out here again, I, hope he doesn't.  Janey was right in what she said.  Well I've no more news at present so must close. 

With love to all.  Hoping this finds all well at Home. 

Your loving son Joe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment